Sponsored by Plant Based Nutrition Movement (PBNM.org)
to benefit the Community Crisis Center, Elgin, IL
Delivery Wednesday, November 10, 2021
The Plant Based Nutrition Movement (PBNM) Picnic/Pot Luck has been postponed but we are still starting our 2nd PBNM FOOD DRIVE drop off on Sept 12.
This year we are donating our Whole Food Plant-Based Food Bags and extra items to the Community Crisis Center in Elgin, to be delivered the morning of November 10th.
COMMUNITY CRISIS CENTER (https://www.crisiscenter.org/) is a non-profit social service agency providing services to individuals & families in Kane and NW Suburban Cook Counties who are dealing with an economic crisis, domestic violence, or sexual assault. This center currently houses 10-12 family units at the shelter and some more at local hotels. Each family prepares their own food, though basic pantry items are provided. The center also provides a food pantry for the homeless or others in need.
Interested in helping us spread the word? Here is a printable flyer that you can download from our Google Drive to print and share. CLICK HERE for the file. By all means, please share this page and the flyer link on your social media and with anyone else you feel may be interested in helping.
With your help, we will be providing a Black Bean Soup Meal Bag. We would appreciate your shopping for the following ingredients to make a complete meal:
Fill a brown bag with these items:
- 2 cans black beans,
- 1 quart carton vegetable stock (low sodium),
- 1 jar salsa,
- Small spice jars of Cumin and Chili Powder
- 1 bag of brown rice
If you’d like to shop for more, we will include more recipes using these items also: Canned beans such as cannellini, garbanzo, pinto, refried (non-fat), 28 oz crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, shelf-stable corn tortillas, canned corn
Feel free to include additional non-perishable, oil-free whole food items in your bag(s). Please check that the expiration dates on donated items have not yet passed.
Here are some ideas for basic WFPB pantry items:
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Rolled oats
- Peanut butter (no sugar added)
- All fruit Jelly
- Dry beans, especially pinto and lentils
- Pasta (whole wheat) or bean pastas
- Spaghetti sauce (marinara)
- Rice, white or brown quick cook
THREE WAYS TO DONATE:
- An easy way to help is through MONETARY DONATIONS (we will do the shopping!!!) to PBNM so that we can purchase needed food items. Simply use the DONATE TO PBNM button on our home page or just CLICK HERE. You’ll be able to select whether you’d like to pay via PayPal, debit or credit. When you select your payment method, note that FOOD DRIVE is auto-selected as to where the funds will be allocated.
- DROP OFF TIMES (All CDC protocols will be observed to ensure your safety)
- Tuesday, October 19 5:00-7:00 Saladmaster – 1325 Wiley Road, Suite 139, Schaumburg, IL 60193 MAP
- Wednesday, October 27 5:00-8:00 Saladmaster – 1325 Wiley Road, Suite 139, Schaumburg, IL 60193 MAP
- November 10, 10:30-11:30 at COMMUNITY CRISIS CENTER parking lot, 37 S. Geneva St, Elgin, IL MAP
- PICK UP.
- Can’t make our drop-off event? No problem! A PBNM volunteer will pick up your brown bag donation at your home or an arranged location. Please e-mail us at food-drive@PBNM.org no later than Wednesday, Nov 3 to arrange a pickup. Please include your contact information (name, email address) and the address and city (if Chicago, please include area/neighborhood of Chicago) where bags may be picked up.
TRY THE BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPE YOURSELF!
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup store-bought salsa
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
Cooking instructions: (Note: rice takes longer to cook, so best to start it first)
- Cook the rice separately according to package directions. Alternatively:
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Bring to boil, cover, and reduce to low for 40 minutes
- Remove from heat and let sit for an additional 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the 2 cans of beans.
- Mash well and put into a soup pot.
- Add broth and stir in the other ingredients.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes
Once both rice and beans have been thoroughly cooked, add rice to the beans and enjoy!
We were thrilled with your generosity in 2020, and look forward to again being able to make a real difference in the lives of people who need our support!