Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 20 min
- 1 cup forbidden black rice
- 6 cups water
- generous pinch salt
- 1 cup forbidden black rice, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- pinch salt
- 1 shallot – chopped
- 1 1/2 cups forbidden black rice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme ( or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon broth or stock ( veggie or chicken)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds ( save 2 tablespoons for garnish)
- Garnish: 1-2 tablespoons Italian parsley
- Bring water and rice to a boil, let simmer uncovered until tender about 20-25 mintues. Drain and fluff. Season!
- Place equal parts water and black rice in the instant pot. Add a pinch of salt. Set pressure to 18 minutes on high. Let naturally release for at least 10 minutes.
- Bring saute pan to high heat, enough that a few drops of water forms “mercury-like” beads, then add the shallots, stirring often until golden and fragrant, about 4 -5 minutes, reducing heat to med-high during the process.
- Add rice and thyme and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add stock, garlic, bay leaf, salt and pepper and 1/2 the almonds. Bring to a simmer, stirring.
- Cover, turn heat to low and cook 25-30 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated and rice is tender. Garnish with remaining almonds and parsley.
3 healthy ways to cook forbidden black rice- stovetop, Instant Pot & Pilaf! A healthy vegan gluten-free side dish full of powerful health benefits. The most nutritious rice you can find!
Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: 200 Carbohydrates: 34 grams Protein: 6 grams