Coconut Red Lentil Curry
- 1 large Yellow onion rough chopped
- 1 large leek all the white and as much green parts as possible
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 6-8 whole clove
- 1 14-15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 2 inch long knob of fresh ginger skin removed minced
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 or more Tbs good quality curry powder
- 2- tsp salt
- 1 whole uncut serrano pepper blackened in a cast iron skillet
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound dried red lentils assure inedible debris is removed
- 1 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 medium zucchini cut into rounds about 1 inch thick, then cut in halves
- 2 -3 handfuls fresh cilantro leaves with large stem removed
Bring a stainless steel Dutch oven to mercury ball teperature. See Notes for explanation.
When the pot is at mercury ball temperature, add the chopped onions and leeks. Sauté until the onions are tranparent and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add cinnamon sticks and cloves and continue to saute to prevent burning or sticking.
Add the garlic. Sauté for about another minute.
Add minced ginger, and curry powder and sauté till fragrant, about another minute.
Add the tomatoes including the liquid and continue to sauté till it begins to boil.
Stri in broth, blackened serrano pepper, lentils and coconut milk. Simmer covered for about 5-10 minutes.
Add zucchini pieces and simmer covered until lentils and zuchini are tender. Maybe 15-20 minutes.
Serve in a bowl garnished with sliced grape tomatoes, fresh cilantro shredded unsweetened coconut, drizzles of coconut milk.
Recipe adapted to be oil-free and Whole Food Plant Based compliant by Meryl Fury from epicurious https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/coconut-red-lentil-curry-236684
Check out this link for a great explanation of how to heat a pan so you can sauté without oil. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-SCA1reqE