Oatmeal is a great start to any day, but especially around the holidays it’s nice to add some unique flavors…things like orange, cinnamon, persimmon, clove all can really spice up breakfast and start the day with a fresh burst!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 ea medjool dates, diced seeds removed
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 ea fuyu or amigati persimmon or orange, sliced
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tbsp pecan pieces any nut or seed is fine
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut optional
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add the rolled oats and diced dates. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 4 minutes.
- Now, add the chopped kale, but don’t bother stirring it in. Put the lid on the pan to steam the kale for a couple of minutes.
- Once the kale is bright green, remove the lid and turn off the heat. Transfer the oatmeal to individual serving bowl(s).
- Add the orange or persimmon slices. Sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds, pecan pieces, and shredded coconut. Enjoy warm.